Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I cooked AGAIN today. In the MORNING. Without benefit of stimulants other than caffeine.
Completely random day. I wanted to get up since I'm cooking an uber-meal for about 10 folks tonight...hint, the pork has been cooking overnight on site.
But I digress, to tasty breakfasts.
Take what's in your kitchen (in my case onions, sweet potatoes, garlic, broth, and a cream of some sort). Put them together in a pan. Put an egg on top.
Serve one plate to your neighbor who knocked on the door at JUST the right time.
Serve one to yourself.
Wonder what toasted Challah bread would have added to the mix.
Talk for just a minute about the perfect heat, creamy texture, and sweetness of the potato and for just a minute more about subbing some of the fresh cracked black pepper with some ground white pepper.
Think out loud about wanting something green (scallions would be AWESOME) to scatter on top.
Get on with the eating. Reheat your coffee cup.
Sweet Potato Bacon Hash
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium sweet potato, cut into small cubes
6-8 small rounds of canadian bacon, diced
2/3 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup half & half
salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute onion and garlic with a small pinch of salt in olive oil until just starting to sweat.
2. Add the sweet potato and saute for three minutes.
3. Add the chicken stock and the bacon, stir through and bring to a quick boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover for 8-10 minutes. Add more broth by the tablespoon full if the pan begins to dry out before the sweet potato is cooked.
4. Remove the cover and stir in the cream. Leave on low heat until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve with an egg on top (go poached if you're really feeling it).